Steamed Rice Cake/ Bhapa Pitha is one of my favorite pitha. As a Bengali, pitha is a symbol of our tradition and culture. Because in the beginning of winter farmer cut their crops to stock for the next year. It is a time of happiness, so we make many sweet dishes with new rice to celebrate. From ancient time it begins, still now many continued the tradition. Now in these modern time, we just enjoy making different pithas. Pitha is a combination of rice flour, which can be deep fry, steamed or cooked in many ways.
Today i am sharing steamed rice cake/ bhapa pitha, others name it as dhupi pitha. In my other post i describe a recipe just like it, but this one is a little different. All the dishes which is cooked in steaming process, i am a big fan of it. Besides that types of dish is healthy than other cooked food. In many areas the pitha is named as dhupi pitha, we name it as bhapa pitha. Our country is a full of various people with different culture and customs. Sometimes things happen really funny, when other region saying the same things with other name. My maid is from south area, so when she named something i could not understand. Then she explained me showing the thing, then i got to understand what is she trying to say.
4cup Rice flour
1cup grated coconut
Prep Time: 10min
Cook Time: 20min
Total Time: 30min
How To Make Steamed Rice Cake/ Bhapa Pitha :
- At first make rice flour at home. Step by step add coconut, molasses, salt and mix with milk slowly.
- Damp the flour like semolina, that will be not a batter neither dough. Check with your hand it will stick like a ball.
- Next in a small bowl take the mixture and cover with a wet thin cloth.
- Boil water with strainer. When it starts to steam, flip the bowl on it, unwrap the bowl and gather the mixture on it.
- Cook for atleast 5-7min. Make sure the pan evaporates through the pitha.
- After that slowly unwrap the pitha from cloth. Now it is ready to eat.
- For the next one wet the thin cloth again and repeat same process.
Atop or non boiled rice
Take a nice bowl
Sprinkle grated coconut
Mix all the ingredients
Add milk slowly
Make a dough like this
In a bowl fill the mixing
Cover with a thin cloth
Boil water and knot a strainer for steaming
Put the bowl on boiler pan and remove bowl
More from my site;